Dubai Healthcare City Free Zone (DHCC) was established in 2002 and it is an economic free zone offering high-end healthcare services and also development possibilities for foreign investors through its foreign investment incentives.
Table of Contents
Registering a business in the healthcare industry in Dubai
The first step to set up a medical practice is to register a company with the Dubai Companies Registrar based on a set of pre-established documents. Our company incorporation consultants in Dubai can assist with the preparation of these documents.
Secondly, one must apply for the necessary licenses to start operating a healthcare company in Dubai. There are two aspects to take into account when starting a business in the Dubai healthcare sector:
- one can set up a medical practice which implies obtaining a professional license;
- one can register a company that will produce medical equipment or pharmaceutical products which implies obtaining a manufacturing license.
Our company formation agents in Dubai can offer more information on how to obtain special licenses related to the healthcare industry.
The Dubai Healthcare City Authority
The Dubai Healthcare City Authority supervises the DHCC Free Zone and sets out the rules and regulations for companies. The Dubai Healthcare City Authority has four departments:
- the healthcare department;
- the education and research department;
- the regulatory department;
- the investment department.
The video below shows the main characteristics of Dubai Healthcare City Free Zone:
Registration and licensing of companies in the Dubai Healthcare City Free Zone
Registration and licensing of companies is possible in the DHCC through the Registration and Licensing Department in the Dubai Healthcare City Authority. The department is made up by the company registry unit and business licensing unit.
The company registry unit is in charge with:
- the incorporation process of free zone limited liability companies(FZ-LLC), branch offices of UAE companies and branch offices of foreign companies;
- keeping and updating the companies register and the shareholders and directors register;
- verifying that the free zone and the Dubai legislations are respected by the DHCC companies.
The business licensing unit issues the commercial licenses that enable companies to establish in the Dubai Healthcare City Free Zone. The commercial license is released for a year and can be renewed yearly.
Requirements for company incorporation in the Dubai Healthcare City Free Zone
Free zone limited liability companies and branch offices of both UAE and foreign companies can obtain commercial, medical and service licenses. They can have at least one shareholder and two directors. The start-up share capital for setting up a company depends on the type of license the company requests and must be paid upon the incorporation of the company.
The minimum value of a share must be 1,000 AED. The company must also have a manager and the shareholder must live in the free zone or have a representative of the company living in DHCC. The company is also required to have an auditor and hold a general meeting of the shareholders once a year.
Depending on the type of company, the following documents must be provided upon the registration of the company:
- for a limited liability company that has one shareholder, he/she must submit the business activity to be carried, a statement appointing the manager or representative of the company through power of attorney, a specimen of signature and a passport copy and a bank account statement as proof of depositing the share capital;
- for a limited liability company that has a corporate shareholding structure: a resolution stating the participation in the company, the nomination of the negotiator, manager and representative and the certificate of incorporation and articles of association of the parent company;
- for branch offices: the certificate of incorporation, the articles of association, the specimen signature, a passport copy and a power of attorney for the branch office’s manager must be provided together with the statement deciding the registration of the branch in DHCC.
Types of activities permitted in Dubai Healthcare City Free Zone
The DTMFZA allows for a significant number of operations to be carried out by companies operating here. Among these are:
- supplying services,
- providing consultancy,
- offering leisure services,
- property management,
- hotel operations.
The DTMFZA does not issued commercial licenses for manufacturing activities.
For those setting up treatment facilities there is also the option of obtaining their professional license with the Dubai Healthcare City Authorities.
Incentives for company incorporation in Dubai Healthcare City Free Zone
DHCC companies benefit from:
- full exemption from income and corporate taxes for 15 years under specific requirmeents,
- foreign investors are allowed to fully own and control the company,
- there are no customs duties,
- administrative support from the Dubai Healthcare City Authority;
- many and varied business opportunities,
- competitive rates for real estate purchases,
- skilled labor force.
If you want to open a company in Dubai and want details about the Commercial Law, you can contact our company incorporation agents in Dubai.